The noble Balbi family (Marquis Balbi of Genoa) towards the end of 1800 purchased the estate northern hills above the village Pontassieve, a south facing area with vineyards and olive trees.
Fattoria “il Capitano” isthe hub of the farm. Built in 1911, its name is due to the location where in ancient times one could find the “Captain of the Garrison” ready to defend the village of Pontassieve against the threats of Florence and Arezzo.
During WWII, the farm suffered relevant losses, being positioned on the “Gothic line”. Reconstruction after the war favored worker's houses and production facilities, leaving the owner’s villa as a ruin.
The farm building of “il Capitano” is an imposing four-storey structure, still used for vinification, refinement and ageing of our wines, with its cellar, the "tinaia", drying bed for selected grapes to prepare Vin Santo and its attic cellar, and the administration offices.